Look carefully at the three images by women artists in the fact file. Think about and jot down your responses to the following questions. Remember everyone has different reactions to art of all kinds and there are no right or wrong answers.
- What is your immediate reaction to the artworks?
- How are they connected to the theme of Wonder Women?
- Which artwork do you find most interesting? Can you explain why?
Choose one of the three artworks and carry out the following activities:
- Make a list of everything you can see in the picture
- Write down any words or phrases that come to mind about the artwork
- What questions do you have about the piece?
- Write a short a description of the artwork for someone who hasn’t seen it.
Read the fact file at the end of the pack about the artists and their work. Does this information make you think differently about any of the pieces?
All the artworks in this theme are produced by women artists. Historically, women have been underrepresented in the arts. Why do you think this might have been? This is now changing, and women artists are making powerful work that helps us to understand the world around us.
Which inspirational women would you choose to create a portrait of? They might be historical or contemporary figures from the world of art, science, music or politics. Investigate information about these women’s lives and work.
Use this information to decide what you would include in a portrait of them. How might you reveal something about these women’s lives and the things they have achieved within a piece of visual art?